Saturday, May 2, 2009

Final Task

It's lonely when you land short. But, at least the scenery is nice.

Task 4 was another long one, 102 miles, with 4 turnpoints. I found a good climb off of my first tow and hooked up with some other gliders. I was busy climbing and decided to wait for the 2nd start clock which made me loiter for about 10 minutes. I actually did quite nice as I left the start circle 45 seconds after 2:15. This is something I am trying to master, and has never been easy.

At the first turnpoint I was high and saw three other gliders coming so I decided to wait on them. Turns out Lucas was with them so for the first time this meet we were able to fly together. We all had a good climb and I was on top. At 6,300 feet we decided to glide towards the 2nd turnpoint. I left first. I had a good line as I was only sinking at 200 fpm until I got close to the turnpoint when the air got roudy. I knew there was a good climb nearby, so I started searching for the lift. I was sinking like a rock and starting to worry. Looking back to find the others, I saw that they had found it about a 1/2 mile back and to the north. Now at 1,000 feet I didn't have the altitude to get back to them and I turned downwind with my fingers crossed. I found nothing and landed in a huge field beside the road, extremely upset with myself.

After I cooled down, I realized just how lucky I really am. If this wasn't a competition, I would have considered this a pretty good flight. I am lucky to be doing exactly what I want to be doing, flying around the country like a bird.

The comp is over and Dustin Martin came in first, Andre Wolf in second, and Johnny Durand in third. Now we rest for a day and start the rally race back to Tennessee tommorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice way of looking at things!!! your cooler than a rockstar in my book! FLY HOME LIL' ONE. back to the nest and the ones who love you most! KEEP HAVIN' FUN and set a personal best or two on the way! STAY SAFE

Anonymous said...

Dude - Nice job making goal today. You and Lucas should launch first one day. At the least you'll have to come in for a re-light, at the most you'll watch Dustino and company climb up underneath you and you can hang with them. Leave lift right when they do - don't take any extra circles. Get to the point where you can climb as well as they can. - Remember - launch early. Piece.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great flight yesterday! We're having a great time following all of your progress! See you Saturday!

Jen