Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rally Race - Day 2

The task was set to go to Williston, FL., 67 miles miles to the north. It all started when I found a nice soft climb off of tow and climbed straight to base. Making my way over to the start circle edge I was joined by OB and Lucas. We all chose to take the 2:00 start.

I left out first and passed the next climb I needed. Lucas called me back when he found it so I ran back to catch up. I wanted to take it all the way up so I was left behind as I climbed.

I was by myself most of the flight except for when Kevin Carter passed me. Over the town of Ocala I found a couple very nice climbs and soon found myself catching up with Lucas and 3 others. The sea breeze came in from the west and started shutting everything down. All 4 or 5 of us found ourselves low over this town with few landing options when we hooked a decent thermal to get us out. But since the winds had changed to more westerly, it was hard to make any progress.

Tom Lanning, Lucas, and I finally landed in the nicest field you have ever seen. It was finely manicured and even had fences around the trees. Soon after landing a woman driving a Mercedes wearing big diamonds came and informed us we were not invited or welcome, and that we needed to leave immediately. We apologized and broke down quickly.



There is the field behind the fence.

We ended up landing 15 or so miles short of goal. Nobody made it today as the sea-breaze shot us down. Lucas and I did pretty good getting in 8th and 9th for the day. It was a fun flight. It is pretty cool to see the vegetation changing as we head north. There are more flowers here than in south Florida. Today is supposed to be 144 miles, we'll see....

Here is a short clip over the town of Ocala.

3 comments:

paint2fly said...

did you tell the nice lady if they didn't want you there they should have a "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign mowed in the field or sumthin. cause i know how you like to explain the situation to authoritative types! again, GREAT FLYING !!! you boys sound like your having too much fun! good luck with the weather and keep up the awesome adventure! PEACE n HAPPINESS stay safe

Anonymous said...

i want pics of YOU cutest pilot in HG

Anonymous said...

Ooooo... CUTEST PILOT.!? must be your wife.? but... she would already have pics of you. must be some dude with poor vision. anyway it's kinda funny if ya ask me. or even if ya don't. (they shouldn't let me play wit these things) board and lernin to spell and type. at your expence. keep up the good flyin n fun stories