Sunday, May 10, 2009

Rally Round-up

I haven't had internet connection for a few days so I couldn't update. Friday we had a 76 mile triangle task. Actually, it was more like two out and returns. We headed south into the wind for 22 miles, back north for 36 miles right over Quest, and finally south again 18 more with goal at the airport. It was a fun task with very nice climbs and clouds everywhere.

Saturday the task was a bit more difficult. An out and return of 91 miles I think. I had a good start, being able to fly with the big gaggle and figuring out their secrets. I learned how to make better decisions and where I have been wasting time. I was able to hold on to them most of the way to the turnpoint, but then got low and had to spend time just surviving. The western sea-breeze came in and made everything ugly. I ended up landing just short of the turnpoint in the middle of a horse racetrack.

So it turns out it was a good decision to head south to finish the comp. I guess it was raining at Lookout everyday, and we had two wonderful days of flying here. Florida is amazing.(for flying anyway). Jeff Obrien took third, Zippy second, and Glen Volk first.

This comp was definately an awesome adventure. It was cool staying in a different town almost every night, and seeing the southeast from high above in my little wing. I hope they try this again next year.

No comments: