Friday, September 25, 2009

Don't be a Cowboy

Today a mostly downwind task of 45 miles was called. I sat patiently on the ground waiting to launch so that I wouldn't have to battle the wind staying out of the start cylinder. This strategy paid off perfectly as I topped out at the edge of the circle just 5 minutes before the second start. I left at 7,000ft and at 1:45:40. A PERFECT start.

Then I made a big mistake. Following 4 or 5 other gliders, we made our way to the turnpoint. As we got lower and lower I saw a small dust devil off to our right. No one else went for it but I couldn't resist so off I went, all by my gambling self. After getting close, the dusty dissappeared and I found nothing. Looking back for the others, I saw them climbing over a small mountain. I tried to make it back to them but landed just short, extrememly dissappointed with myself.

I have had this lesson many, many times before but for some reason I can't discipline myself against it. DONT BE A COWBOY!!!! I am not smarter than everyone else. I need to hang with the pack, especially on blue days. With no clouds I am basically running blind.

I just threw away any chances at a decent finish in this meet. Alot of people (22) made goal today. I sure hope that this lesson will be the one that sticks. It sure does sting right now.
It's all good though. Tommorrow is a fresh new day and I am still doing what I love. Maybe now I can relax and just fly my glider.

3 comments:

John Hesch said...

Eric, don't be so hard on yourself. You made a decision and went with it-it could have paid off. Today's a new day-go for it!

John

Scott said...

YEAH BUDDY... see that was more exciting than the movies or paper airplanes! I wish it had a better ending for you but like you said, your doing what you love and seeing some cool stuff we dont see on the east side. FLY HARD AIRICK, HAVE FUN , STAY SAFE!!! remember, i'm puttin your ass ta work when you git back so ya better enjoy right now! (cause the fairs ain't flyin') PEACE BRO.

olehere said...

Oh oh, Eric and Scott on the Fair circuit by themselves. I can envision new tattoos on really white skin, early morning bedtimes and hotdogs from two trailers down Main Street. You guys behave.

Eric, I agree with John. Give yourelf a break or two - learn just don't regress. Have fun for the rest of the meet you lucky duck.

Best regards, Olehere