Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 6 - I'm famous

Today they called for a 105 mile task with 1 turnpoint at Lamesa. Thick mid-level clouds threatened to shade everything so I decided to launch early and get as far as I could before it did. This meant I was going to ignore the start times and get moving on course. When I launched cu's were forming to the east and I headed that way even though it took me way east of courseline. I made good time all by myself and eventually got near Lamesa but was 10 miles east of it. By now everything was shaded and I stretched my glide towards the town. There was a small spot of sunshine on the ground and I headed for it. 6 miles from the turnpoint and at 600ft I found some lift. I took it up to 6,500ft until it got weak, then headed to the turnpoint. After I got it I turned north towards goal only to glide all the way to the ground. Turns out I should have waited a bit cause the high clouds were clearing and everything started heating up. So, I went 70 miles out of 105.

Here is a picture from the flight. Notice how dark and shaded everything was.
Then, after I landed, notice how sunny it was.I ended up landing on a dirt road that was access to the oil fields. This turned out to be a retrieve nightmare. Not only was it difficult for my driver to find me, a huge storm developed and eventually started dumping hard rain on me. I stood in the pooring rain trying to protect all of my electronic equipment for over 2 hours waiting for them to find me. Here is a little vid of the approaching storm.
Now the cool part. After we got back and I got dry cloths on, we headed to Cowboys restaurant for some grub. When I walked in there was a newspaper dispensor next to the door with a picture of me flying my glider on the front page! I plopped in 50 cents and took one.




2 comments:

home said...

DUUUUUDE, you are tooo coool!!! jumpin' in front of EVERYONE to get in the air and go for it on your own! BALLZEEE! I LIKE IT! and then the front page (cool shot) after the storm in the middle of NO WHERE.?!!! SWEEEEEEET. YOU DA MAN. one more day and your on the way.! KICK ASS! HAVE FUN! peace Bro. C U soon

albert said...

Hey, grabbin some grub at Cowboys - you sound like a local boy. Where is your stetson? Good souvenir that newspaper.