Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 3, storms and spiders

As we brought our gliders out to the staging line the clouds were forming quickly to our east. Most of us were worried about over-developement and wanted to get in the air quickly in case the task was called. I was stuck near the back of the line again and waited 30-40 minutes for a tow. Once in the air I found a good climb and was on my way.

While on course I noticed rain showers behind me at the airport and a few scattered east of me. No big deal and I kept pushing on. Then, I started watching a large storm up ahead right on courseline. I decided I could keep going and would just keep an eye on it. Coming up on the town of Lamesa the storm continued to grow and then I noticed a HUGE gust front kicking up thick dust, completely engulfing the town. I was at 8,500ft and could see the dust line for miles to the north and south. Just then I heard over the radio that the task had been called. Having never been in this situation before I got quite nervous and wasn't sure what to do. The only thing I could think of was to run from it. I pointed straight west and pulled the speed on.

I don't think I have ever felt so small before. I ran for 10 or 15 miles looking back at this huge, very defined, wall of wind chasing me. Up ahead I saw the only house around and aimed to land there in case I needed any assistance. I arrived with about 500ft and to my surprise, the trees were calm and not blowing. I circled down and had a nice landing in their crop and carried my glider to the road. Looking east I could see the dust coming. I turned my glider around and un-hooked. 2-3 minutes later the gustfront hit.

Before I got close to the storm I had the camera out. Here is a little clip.


Before the flight I found this "little" dude walking around at the airport. Look, he was waving at me.

1 comment:

me again said...

You know those things can jump like 27ft. and chew your face off. but since that cute lil' feller was waving and looking all soft n fuzzy it didn't appeare so scary. Bet the boys would really love one!!! YOU CRAZY KIDS N YER COMP. FLYIN'. That flight sounded like a run for your life type a flyin' we love to read about. just make sure that the return to mother earth is not the worst part of the adventure. KEEP SAFE. and keep on keepin' on! good luck today and even BETTER SKILL!!!