Saturday, April 3, 2010

XC to Fort Payne, AL

Ok, ok, I didnt realize I had so many eager followers of the blog and I'm sorry I have let all of you down - all two of you.

I have been flying a lot the past few days since it's been sunny with warm temps. On Tuesday, I launched off of lookout with teh intentions of flying with James on a XC flight towards the south. I launched and found a good climb in front of the bandit launch. As I centered it and circled up James came under me. He either couldn't get it or gave up to look somewhere else as I climbed up to 6k by myself. After topping out behind launch, I had to decide if I should wait on him or go alone. He looked like he was struggling on the ridge with a few other gliders. Maybe I'm rude, maybe selfish, but I went on glide to the south by myself. Sorry James!

That glide took me over Cloudland Canyon and all the way over no-man's land to the Rising Fawn launch where I was back down to ridge level where I finally found another climb. After gaining a few hundred feet, I noticed a mature bald eagle climbing up from below. 7 or 8 turns later he was closing the gap and had almost caught up to me. As he reached my altitude I lost sight of him for a moment. Then I saw him off my left wing coming towards my nose. 50ft before impact he rolled inverted, stuck is huge yellow talons out at me, and dove away to the South. It was a beautiful interaction.

I found a couple more decent climbs on my way down the ridge and also spotted my bald headed friend again gliding out into the valley. I fell into an area of heavy sink and changed my line to try and avoid it. Soon I was picking places to land. I settled on a nice field with no cattle and had a soft landing just north of Fort Payne, AL.

So I flew about 28 miles. A good little XC flight and the first one for me this year. Sure was fun! Sorry, no pictures.

2 comments:

olehere said...

Scott & Doug feel good now that you have acknowledged how you have let us down by your inattention to our daily exposure to art and aviation.

Recognize that we lead very shallow lives and we live vicariously through your exciting life.

Do you know anybody else that would like us to follow them around day-by-day. Preferably that leads as exciting a life as you do.

Scott said...

Finally, thought I was gonna have too give up on you and your fantastic life moments. But I already read this one. Wait a second, this is from last week, with no pics. Don't you do any art anymore? Didn't you used to make cool videos? How about footage of a new approach into the LZ for your students to study? 90 degrees, wingtip in the taller blades of grass, landing in the breakdown area!!! It is spring time and we look up to people like you too show us the way. this is Lucas's sight, isn't it?