Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Work, Dream, Work

I am very fortunate to live where I can fly down a mountain, land in my yard, and continue on with my day. Sometimes I have to pinch myself. I remember one day last summer I was working in the shop blowing glass all morning. Around 1:00pm I went to launch and set up. By 1:45 I was in the air and climbing fast towards a nice, flat bottomed cloud. I timed my climb perfectly so that I reached the edge of the cloud and popped out of the side just as I whited out. The temperature was a lot cooler up there than it was down in my shop and I made a point to appreciate it. The long glide back down gave me a chance to enjoy the beautiful scenery this valley has to offer. Finally, I had a great landing back at my house where I went back to work. - total flight time was about 30 minutes.

As I started back on the torch things seemed surreal. Did that really happen? Was I really playing with a cloud 10 minutes ago at 6,000ft? I had just experienced man's oldest dream in the purest form and then casually went back to where I left off. Like I said..... I had to pinch myself...

So I put the Gopro camera on my helmet the other day to see how it worked. Check out the video below. It's not of the flight mentioned above, but it is a sledder down to land at my house. Sorry if you(Ashley) think it's boring.

4 comments:

Scott said...

You are one of my HEROS!!! How cool is it that you can live a real life dream and keep your beautiful family happy and healthy all at the same time!? Your balance of work and play is a great quality that many of us are trying to learn from your example. (But you work to much for most of us) Fun video, did you happen to notice if the tops of the trees were statring to bud yet? Looked like a long walk to your house with such a heavy wing.

Eric said...

Thanks Scott, it may seem like I work too much but I spend a lot of time just standing around thinking... looks like many friends follow that example... without the thinking.

I didn't stop to examine the trees but feel spring is near. Yea, it was a heavy walk but then I remembered carrying your wing one time and I didn't feel so bad. 158sq. feet!!!!! That's huge! Are you planning on eating a bunch this coming Thanksgiving?

MontreAl said...

It has been more than 2 weeks Eric. When can we expect your next post?

Anonymous said...

Yea, whats up with this Boring site? Used to be able to count on something half way entertaining every few days or so. What, you busy working?