Monday, October 5, 2009

Team Challenge 2009

I got back from Arizona and went straight up to Henson Gap for the annual Team Challenge Competition. This is a very unique comp and is priceless for the average pilot learning to go XC. It is also a great introduction into hang-gliding competition.
When I pulled in the drive at launch, there was a group of 10-15 pilots walking around with their GPS's simulating a route. Terrific mentors like Dennis Pagen, Mike Barber, Ollie Gregory, Tom Lanning, and more shared their knowledge and filled the heads of the hungry pilots. Aside from the GPS course, there were seminars on weather, thermaling, XC flying, launching, landing, and much more.
I missed the first couple of days but understand pilots had great flights on Sunday with many "C" pilots in goal. Tuesday was blown out but then Wednesday was launchable. Light lift made things difficult. I found a climb over the 111 overlook that took me to 1,500ft over launch. I was a "free flyer" during the week and found it a nice change of pace from my previous week's racing in AZ.
Thursday the wind was forecast S to SW so we decided to go to Whitwell to launch. I wanted to launch early because I was afraid of the winds going more SW later; not good for Whitwell. Soon after launch and heading north, I found an ugly, broken climb that finally turned on over the ridge. This took me up to about 2,000ft over launch where I could cruise around. Turns out that thermal stayed there all day. Anytime I got low from searching around, I would run back there and get up again. It's fun when it's predictable. Some competitors made it down the valley and some went to land at the church. Overall, everyone had great landings. Nice job Fly-n-Bryon for making goal!
The next two days were called for weather. Friday it rained a bit and Saturday was blown out. Saturday night we had a party with DJ, karaoke, BBQ dinner, beer, awards, and tons of fun. Ricker came through with amazing help from sponsers and had many prizes to give out. Nobody left empty handed.
So, another good Team Challenge went down. It's hard to believe that these work so well, especially with no meet director. It takes many people and a lot of time to get things ready for the week, but I really appreciate Ollie Gregory and the tremendous amount of volunteer work he does for the comp. He is clearly the grease in the works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this a picture of Ollie? He looks much younger than I would have guessed. Looks a bit CRAZY as well. Must take a crazy person to want to do a bunch of free work for a bunch of other CRAZY PEOPLE! Sounds like it was a good time, wish i'da been there. thanks for givin' us the lil' story, and pics.