Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Back to Work

I have been busy this week carving and sanding wood in the shop. The past two weeks of hang gliding served as an inspiration I guess and I have been shaping some wings. The raffle that helped me get to Arizona was a great success. Big thanks to everyone who helped out. Congrats to James on winning the sculpture. A lot of people had kind words to say about my art and I even scored a few orders that I have almost filled. So my new plan is to make some hang-gliding sculptures and advertise here and on the Oz Report. Four of them are getting stain right now and I have ideas for others.
This one is about 1 foot tall. It is made of canarywood, mahogony, purple heart, and walnut.

This one is about 15 inches tall and is made of mahogony and ambrosia maple.
Tommorrow I start the rigid wing.....





3 comments:

olehere said...

Eric,

You have a wonderful "sense" of flow as your sculptures relate base to wing. I am impressed.

I would encourage you to keep at doing wings for awhile. I do glass fusing and I find that as I keep at improving a series, my work sometimes takes a geometric jump. If I had haphazardly moved from subject-to-subject, I would not have had the sudden improvement.

Suggestion, contact Flytec via Jamie, I bet they would commission you to do the trophies for next year's rally. You are very talented, take this bit of momentum to the max - reach out and fly high - you are very talented.

Best regards,
Oleher

Eric said...

Thank you for the compliments. I plan on staying with the gliders for a while. Already had a good idea today and got started. Stay tuned for pics.

I would like to see some of your glasswork. I have been blowing glass for about 7 years, though I have never done fusing.

Cheers,
Eric

Scott said...

The wings are things of beauty! the one going into a loop is awesome yet dangerous looking( i think the pilot is about to stall and i saw no reserve) could you spray paint that one all black and i'd give you $37.73 without a second thought! wonder if you could make a picture frame?