Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fly-in 2009

I decided to try and host a fly-in type thing a long time ago, but never was motivated enough. Early in the week I saw that it might be light NE winds on Thursday and made the call. This meant we could launch off of the bandit launch in light cross or calm wind, and be landing slightly up-hill and into the wind. PERFECT!

So Tuesday I started mowing a design in the field beside my house. I was inspired by the guy who does this in Ellenville, NY. Even though my design is far less complicated than his, it took all day. First, I marked it all out with a pole, string, and marker paint. Then I went around on the riding mower. And finally, coming back with the weed-wacker in the small areas.
The weather turned out to be right on, couldn't be better. We had a Spot landing contest in which Mark Fink won. The actual spot was the small ringed circle in the center, marked with a paper plate. This made it a bit confusing on final but that's the fun. Everyone had good landings, well, OK, at least nobody broke anything.

Stocked coolers and hot dogs were waiting for us, and we made a huge bon-fire to get us into the evening. Check out the short video. I Wish I had used the camera more around the fire, but then I guess we could have looked like a bunch of idiots.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

field looks awesome. really simple design but you gotta start somewhere,right. you looked pretty close to your spot. are you sure mark got it? did he like his prize? what was it anyway? is it something useful? sorry i missed it. looked like alot of fun. who was in that green striped glider that overshot by so far? Fingers-WHAAAAAAAACK